CONSTRUCTION OF SCHOOLS AND DEVELOPMENT OF A MODERN SCHOOL CENTRE IN NORTHERN BURKINA FASO
Education is the first step to a self-determined life. Without a school diploma, people have no prospects and cannot pursue a professional career. With our school buildings, we would like to reduce the illiteracy rate (50 – 60 % in the Boussouma region) in the long term and increase the educational level in the countryside.
Our schools are exclusively state schools. Within the framework of the school development plan, we work very closely with the Ministry of Education. The buildings and infrastructure are handed over to the state after completion and are maintained and operated by them. The delegation of the teachers and the school catering are also provided by the government.
With our educational projects, we support children and young people between the ages of 6 and 19. Primary school in Burkina Faso lasts a total of 6 years, with in some cases more than 100 children per class being taught in the primary stage. After primary school, the pupils can attend a secondary school. The college lasts 4 years and the degree corresponds to the secondary school leaving certificate.
Due to the long distances to school, many children and young people, especially in rural areas, have no opportunity to attend school. They sometimes have to travel several kilometres or stay with relatives or friends, because the nearest school is too far away from their home town. This means an additional financial burden for the families and is often associated with considerable risks for girls.
We consider it an important task of our association to change this situation through our school buildings. In the past years, we have already realized several projects and will continue to do so in the coming years.
Projects realized by us so far:
- 2015/2016/2017: Construction of the first modern school centre in Gofila, in the north of Burkina Faso:
- Construction of Gofila primary school with a total of 6 classrooms, toilets, kitchen.
- Construction of a college with a total of 4 classrooms, toilets, kitchen, teacher meeting room.
- Supply of the school center with electricity by installing an off-grid solar system.
- Offering evening school for 50 – 100 adults and computer courses for children and teenagers.
- Capacity for about 700 – 800 students.
- Construction of primary school Balbo with a total of 3 classrooms, toilets, kitchen.
- Building College Birgui with a total of 4 classrooms, toilets, kitchen.
- Capacity for about 500 pupils
- Extension of the school centre in Gofila by building eight teacher’s houses with electricity connection.