- 12/2012 foundation of the association „Wir helfen Gofila und angrenzenden Regionen in Burkina Faso e. V.“ / “We help Gofila and neighbouring regions in Burkina Faso e. V.”
- 05/2013 employment of our own employee on site: Annicet Ouedraogo.
He is one of the few inhabitants of Burkina Faso who went to university. His task is to monitor our projects. Annicet lives in Ouagadougou but drives to Kaya, where the village Gofila is located, on a weekly basis.
- 12/2013 registration in the Register of Associations in Memmingen.
- 04/2014 tax authorization in Burkina Faso.
- 05/2014 completion of the first realized project: construction of six deep wells.
- 10/2016 visit from the Federal Minister Dr. Gerd Müller (Economic Cooperation and Development).
- December 2016 granting of the application for the examination of our association at the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
- 01/2017 change of the association’s name to “Help for Burkina Faso”.
- 06/2017 granting of first project in cooperation with BMZ.
MANAGEMENT BOARD & MEMBERS
Our association is legally, organisationally and financially independent. We pursue solely charitable purposes, all members and the management board perform their duties on an honorary basis.
Horst Walz (Executive Chairman)
Dr. Hans Reichhart, MdL (Vice Chairman)
Fabian Walz (First Cash Auditor)
Ursula Walz (Second Cash Auditor)
Leonhard Krumm (Treasurer)
Sara Winkler (Secretary)
Hans Reichhart, First Mayor of Jettingen-Scheppach (Assessor)
Annette Ruess (Assessor)
Vladimira Trojan (Assessor)
Ernst Klimmer (Assessor)
GOFILA – THE START OF OUR EFFORTS
The village Gofila is situated about 20 km away from the provincial town Kaya and could have looked like it does today already 1,000 years ago. About 5,000 inhabitants live there, spread over more or less six settlements. About 60 % of the residents are under the age of 16. Gofila is located in the southern reaches of the Sahel and has at best three months of rainy season and nine months of drought. By meeting Father Emanuel, who lived in Germany (i.a. Jettingen-Scheppach) for a couple of years, we got in touch with Burkina Faso. Emanuel and his family are from Gofila. He now works as headmaster of the catholic school system of Kaya’s diocese and is responsible for 30 schools in this region.
BURKINA FASO IN FACTS & FIGURES
- About 18.1 million people live in Burkina Faso (BF). The capital city is called Ouagadougou and has 2 million inhabitants.
- For every 10,000 inhabitants, there are only 0,5 doctors.
- More than 40 % of the 18,1 million inhabitants live below the absolute poverty level.
- About 70 % of the employed persons only earn 2 $ per day.
- Almost half of the population is under the age of 15.
- Only about 22 % of the people of Burkina Faso over age of 14 are able to read and write.
- The average number of children a women of childbearing age gives birth to is 5,6.
- In the Human Development Report, BF was ranked 183 out of 188 countries.
- The average life expectancy is 59 years.
- 89 of 1,000 children die before their 5th birthday.
- The rate of child labour is about 39,2 %.
- About 70 % of the inhabitants are illiterates.
- Only 61 % of the children enrolled in school actually finish elementary school.
- In order to get pure water, the inhabitants of Burkina Faso often have to walk many miles
Sources: destatis.de, Weltbank, Federal Foreign Office, BMZ, human development index